Monday, February 21, 2011

Last Week's Critique

Putting up all the storyboards I submitted for class is kind of a hassle, but in summary, these are things that were of mainly of concern, that I remember:

  1. Too many close ups
  2. need to figure out way to make the female character stronger
  3. Some shots could be made stronger, such as a stronger reveal for the girl, etc

Some issues that people talked about during the critique raised some personal concerns about the story as well. They were not necessarily a problem, per se, but I felt uncomfortable with it. This includes:

  1. The story is very cliche - just about a guy who dreams that he saves a girl, and then snaps out of the dream.
  2. The female character is stereotypical
  3. Kevin and Ralph do not have much of a role
  4. People interpret Ray as a "jerk" - I didn't want him to come off that way, actually. I wanted people to like him.
  5.  Looks like an "anime"
I think it is natural for my work to resemble anime because that's what I was influenced by. However, I want it to look like GOOD anime....not the crappy kind. I did feel uncomfortable with the fact that I had so many close ups, so I will try to be more aware of that.

As for the story, I've been working and reworking the story, and considering a completely NEW story all weekend. It was an extremely painful process!!!!!! The whole time I felt like I was getting nothing done, until it paid off in the end and all my ideas started coming together....

I think I've decided on something I like, but I am a bit apprehensive about the production of it. I wanted to finish my film completely and have time to refine it--which is why I chose to set my film in ONE interior setting.  I wanted to make the film around 3 minutes, the minimum, and focus on making it look good. However, there is so much going on it might stream to 5 or 6 minutes...or, I fear, even more. There is also a lot of difficult animation in it. In addition, I was thinking of adding some 3D elements to it, which brings up more complications. It's not just producing the animation, but also struggling with the programs that I am afraid will take up a lot of time.

I'm going to post my new treatment up (draft SIX.....=_=) in the following post. Sheila, is it doable?

Time to thumbnail like the WIND!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diana,

    Try not to be discouraged. I think you are exactly where you need to be right now. You have a good outline- you just need to tighten the story. I haven't looked at your new treatment yet, so I don't know if you scrapped this story or not. Anyway- this is the struggle it takes to make a good film!

    -Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in you Diana!
    I can't wait to hear about the changes and additions you make to it. As for you drawing style or animation style, I know you could go in different directions, but playing towards your strengths is not a bad thing at all. Even if some may say something similar has already been done before (like anime style). So many films are similar to something that's already been done, what will make yours unique is what you put into it from your personal experiences and heart.

    ReplyDelete