Thursday, February 10, 2011

JOSEPH model sheets (formerly Tim)

first draft
second draft

third draft


I started working on this character labeled as the “normal, boring guy” that the audience could easily relate to. I wanted someone that did not look dorky, but had a dorky and shy side too him. The first draft was just that: the normal, boring guy who looked a little dorky. That was all. But it didn’t feel right. He was supposed to be the normal guy, but it seemed like he had no character at all. There was absolutely nothing interesting about him.

I started working on the second draft, trying to make him more distinguished by giving him stronger cheekbones and a huge hunch back. While this wasn’t bad, I didn’t like how he looked blatantly awkward, and almost slightly creepy.

I studied some faces of actual people, and then started to do the third draft. My studies didn’t come out as much as I’d hoped (his face shape is still very similar, but I think I wanted it like that so it wouldn’t be too difficult to animate), but I played with the eyes, making him look very bored with life. By accident, I made one shoulder higher than the other so he looked awkwardly unbalanced. At the same time, his standing pose had a sort of “cool” air to it, as if it was intentional. I liked that asymmetry because it created layers within his personality. This is what I have so far.

Therefore, through drawing, I sort of felt out my character’s personality of what exactly I was going for.


No comments:

Post a Comment