Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Premises

1) Gut vs. Rationality

Two college-age friends discuss conflict between choosing based on your gut and rationality, and discuss risk. While one believes that going with your gut is the basis of success, the other argues that there must be a sense of rationality to his/her decisions about the future.

Medium: Hand-drawn animation with aftereffects and motion graphics. I want to possibly film the scene first, and then rotoscope over it.


2) Wallflower

We enter a party/some sort of get together where everyone has a weird hat-like creature on his or her head. As the people drink, party and talk, the creatures interact with each other, as if plotting schemes against their hosts. A wallflower stands at the side, watching everyone, with a large, but fairly motherly hat. The party becomes more and more crazy, until finally the wallflower becomes so uncomfortable he leaves.

Medium: 2D animation with aftereffects, an integration of 3D and 2D with maya, or 3D with live action

3) With Love, Angie

A young man wakes up to find a hole in his chest, and a monster form of his girlfriend standing at his bedside. The monster first embraces him, making him feel comfort inside. All of a sudden, the monster changes form and attacks him. He tries to defend himself, but it is futile. At the brink of terror, he wakes up and finds himself alone in the apartment. He sees a note by his bedside from his girlfriend, basically saying she is leaving him. He runs after her.

Medium: 2D animation with 3D background (apartment)

---------------------------------------------

Right now, I’m leaning towards the "Wallflower". I don’t want to draw anything really “dirty” per se, but rather parody college parties in a light, humoristic way. I’m not sure about the hats yet. I want to create some fun characters with this one.

The second one I am most interested in is "Gut vs. Rationality". I liked the Don Herdtzfelt (sp?) film we watched in class, and thought that it might be interesting to create a dialogue based story. The message is also very personal to me.

In “With Love, Angie” I just wanted to create something inspired by my one of my favorite authors, Haruki Murakami. It is also inspired by an illustration I did recently. The nice thing about this idea is that the entire film takes place in one area, which would be a loft-style apartment.

You may notice that most of my ideas do not have a very concrete story. This is because I am not so much interested in creating a story, than portraying an idea or thought through visual means.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, these are really good Diana! I must say, I like the first one a lot, but the last one is really good too. The 2nd one didn't strike me as being as interesting as the other two, but maybe I'm just not picturing it as you might be. I like how you know specifically what animation technique you would use for each idea. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, the 2nd idea doesn't really have a very clear description, I think. The film would be mainly based off of the juxtaposition of the wallflower's awkwardness with the increasing intensity of the party's craziness.

    ReplyDelete