Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Inspiration 2: With Love, Angie.

For this idea, I'm thinking of making 2D animated characters and placing them within a 3D designed interior. The following film, by a animation student in Beijing named DongZhen Li, is an example of what I'm talking about.


The idea (and my interest in amorphous, weird figures in general) spawned off this one scene in Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore. I'm too lazy to give a description of the story, but it basically revolves around two characters: Kafka Tamura, a young 15 year old boy, and Nakata, an old man who had lost his mental facilities as a child. In the scene, a strange white amorphous figure emerges out of Nakata's mouth. Hoshino, a truck driver who befriends Nakata, is ordered to kill the amorphous figure. I don't remember the the fight scene between Hoshino and the white figure specifically, but the eerieness sticks with me.

In addition, this past winter break, I drew an illustration of a man with a hole in his chest. I usually do not have an emotional reaction to most of the things I draw, but when I finished the sketch, something welled up inside of me.



No comments:

Post a Comment