Monday, November 14, 2011

Anticlimactic?

So this week I was supposed to do the animation for the climax of the film where the monsters actually fight for like....two seconds. I have been kind of iffy with it though. I am nervous about it being too short and also David Fain said that the blocking does make sense. I've considered changing it, where the green monster jumps into a windmill, causing books to kind of fly around him. On the one hand, I think this shot could be really cool. On the other hand, it might look really corny. And the books flying will be really hard to do in 3D....?

In fact, I'm starting to think my whole film is kind of corny and contrived. I'm definitely not going to change it, but I think if I'm not careful with how the sound design and music develop its going to be definitely corny.

bleh.

I ended up not doing the climax scene, and instead worked on 4 of the ending shots. They are a lot easier, so to make up for the difficulty of the climax scene I just piled a bunch of easier shots together from the ending sequence of the fight scene (where Ray gets scanned). Well, they were kind of easier. There were a lot of problems with my boards that I had to fix on the spot as I was animating, but I think I've got that sequence down now.

I emailed my animator friend Lennie for a little critique on how my animation is going. He said that it was over all very good, but said that I should incorporate more construction into my animation because some of it is not articulated well enough. Also, it looks like I have problems with slight movements such as the turning of the head or hips that make the animation look more natural.

I want to go back and revise all of my animations and make them better, but I know there is not enough time for that. I left time for revisions, so hopefully I can fix some things then. I will have to accept that a lot of this is a learning process and its not going to be perfect.

I sound depressing in this post, haha.

2 comments:

  1. Diana- try not to get too hung up on making everything perfect. If you want, once your film is finished you can perfect a few scenes to edit into your reel. Right now I think the animation is looking good and is forwarding your story very well. Like John Lassater says, you never "finish" your film- you have to just walk away.

    Hopefully the seminar critique will make you realize that your film is not "corny and contrived." I think it is very clever. I hope you don't lose interest in it, because it will make it harder to finish. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila,

    Thanks for the advice! I think I will be okay, I'm just going through one of those moods haha. i look forward to seminar critique.

    Thanks,

    Diana Ling

    ReplyDelete